Wednesday 11 November 2015

Propshaft

Type 9 or MT75? - a dilemma I have been musing on for a fair while (amazing what thought processes are triggered building cars). This issue required resolving as I need to get the prop shaft into position whilst I still have reasonably good access through the passenger side transmission tunnel.

A phone call to GBS resolved the issue... Type 9 apparently offers alot more flexibility with fitment to the type 9 gearbox providing more tuning/upgrade options via differing gear ratios. Although the MT75 prop-shaft is a more than adequate solution when mated to the MT75 gearbox but has limited tuning capability in terms of swapping out gear ratios.




All those considerations are a long way down the line, need to get the car built and running in anger before I turn attention to changing gear ratios but it all needs to be considered I guess!

Decision made, Type 9 it was and duly ordered.

I had intended to collect the prop-shaft on my way through to another Steelers hockey game at Sheffield Arena however on arrival the factory was closed on one of their rare weekends when they did not open - teach me not to check before turning up. However full praise to GBS whom posted it out the following week via parcelforce at a very competitive postage rate (Certainly alot cheaper than I feared).

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, back to the build - this is a nice ten minute fit - it does need some persuasion to fit through the transmission tunnel towards the differential and angling the mounting plate will ensure it squeezes through.

four bolts locate it onto the differential - all suitably torqued up, job done, a few photos of it in situ however black on black does not come out very well the pictures unfortunately





No comments: