Sunday 17 April 2016

Rear Brake calipers

With the refurbished driveshafts now installed back into the chassis I can turn my attention to fitting the rear brake calipers.

I have elected to run with discs all round the vehicle so although the sierra donor was drum braked on the rear, converting to discs is a straightforward option.


You will need to order some rear caliper mounting brackets from GBS which fit to between the hub carrier and rear uprights. These in turn support the brake calipers via x2 M10 bolts (approx 40mm)

Brake calipers....this was a frustrating delay more through my own lack of knowledge on Sierra calipers and general guidance out on the web.

What you will need are Sierra Cosworth 4x4 brake calipers NOT Sierra Cosworth brake calipers - spot the subtle difference...yep "4x4" it does make a difference believe it or not. The standard rear discs are 22mm thick, these are too thick for the standard sierra cosworth calipers, which I discovered much to my annoyance when I came to fit! grrgghh

So what was initially a two week lead time on the calipers turned into a four week lead time by the time I had returned the incorrect ones and the supplier had sourced the correct set.

I must mention at this point the service provided by Biggred - they provided an excellent service, the quality of parts I got from them were first class and are well worth checking out both on their ebay shop and company website.

So once received, its a simple case of fitting the disc onto the hubs which in turn is secured with a wheel nut. Marry the caliper to the mounting brackets (you will have to file the carriers and remove the powder coat as the disc will foul in the caliper otherwise)

Once that is done, you can connect the brake cable to the caliper, via simple hook and eye connection and screw in the brake line, job done!









No comments: