Sunday 15 February 2015

Fork End & Pin to Master Cylinder

I managed to grab a couple of hours in the garage Sunday afternoon following an overnight stay the previous day/night in Northamptonshire for a wedding. Not wanting to get too engrossed in anything complicated I turned to the fork end pin and considered that a quick job to tick off the list.

Basic process was to two fold:
  • drill a hole in one of the pedals to take the fork and pin
  • cut off and champher the bolt which goes into the brake master cylinder

So drilling first, I established an 8mm hole was needed for the pin so elected to drill to 8mm in steps, opening the hole in the pedal to 5mm, 7mm then finally 8mm.

Securing the the pedal into a vice, the drilling went well and I soon had a nice sized hole for the fork and pin to locate through.


turning to the bolt, I am conscious at this early stage I don't want to cut off too much as I don't yet know how the pedal will interact with the master cylinder and in turn how much travel will need to be applied to the brake pedal to apply the brakes! The fork does have an element of adjustment on the thread but better to be safe than sorry I chose to only remove approx 20mm of the bolt to start with - more can be done at a later date if need be.

Simple junior hacksaw to the bolt soon had that cut to size and I chamfered the end with help from the bench grinder and some emery paper.

A dry fit of the assembled fork, pin and bolt suggests as an initial start point it will be fine, the fork is screwed onto the bolt approx half way so I do have some further adjustment available. 

With this assembled I could finalise the positioning of the master cylinder relative to the bolt thus ensuring a smooth, even, level motion of the bolt into the master cylinder when the brake pedal is pressed. Once this datum had been established the master cylinder bolts were tightened up.

Job done! - a nice hours work and further progress.








No comments: